- 2 cups shredded peeled russet potatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 fresh green Serrano chiles, stemmed and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Thoroughly mix potatoes, onion, chiles to taste, cilantro, flour, cumin, salt, turmeric and eggs in a large bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of the potato mixture in the skillet and flatten with a spatula into a disk roughly 3 inches in diameter. Form as many latkes as you can in the pan without overcrowding.
- l Cook until golden brown and crispy on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until the other side is golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- l Briefly drain on a paper towel-lined plate, then transfer to the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining oil and potato mixture.