Healthy eating is one of the key ways to maintain good health, do not overlook the importance of spices. Head over to your spice rack to add more interest in your food and to supercharge the health benefits of the food you’re eating.
Turmeric has a unique flavour and can range from fairly mild (white turmeric and turmeric from the Anders) to slightly bitter and astringent like the yellow Indian turmeric found in curry powder. The great news is that you can improve its taste by blending it with other spices such as cinnamon, black pepper, nutmeg and ginger. Turmeric pairs well with almost any spice. Mixing it with black pepper will enhance absorption of curcumin found in turmeric as stated in “The Health Benefits of Turmeric”
Store ground turmeric in a dark cool cabinet or spice rack. Keep away from direct sunlight which can damage the natural oils and pigment. For the fresh root, it is best to keep them in an air-tight container. First layer the bottom of the container with clean, dry paper towels. Arrange one layer of roots, cove them with another paper towel. Repeat the process until the container is filled and closed. Keep refrigerate, changing the paper towels as they become damp. This is to keep the roots from molding.
Stevia is fast replacing sugar and the sweetener that is becoming popular. There are a lot of packaged stevia for sale in the stores today. However we recommend that you make your own pure and liquid stevia from the stevia leaves.
- Dried stevia leaves
- 1 cup of hot filtered water
- ¼ cup of pure grounded stevia (this is needed to make liquid stevia)
- Grind the stevia leaves in a food processor or better yet a coffee grinder to make pure stevia. Make enough for a cup or more if you prefer. Store the grounded stevia in an air-tight jar, ready for use.
- Note – To cook with stevia simply replace every 1 cup of sugar with 3 to 4 teaspoons of stevia.
- To make liquid stevia, dissolve ¼ cup of the stevia powder with 1 cup of hot filtered water. Stir well and leave out to cool at room temperature for a day. After a day strain the stevia out of the liquid and store the liquid stevia in the refrigerator
That is it! The taste is amazing with the calories and it’s good for your health. The Tropical Spice Garden Gift Shop sells top grade stevia leaves in 40gms and 110gms packages, ready for use.